During the month of February, Americans see the human heart as the symbol of love. February is also American Heart Month, a time to not only show your loved ones some love, but to show yourself some love too!
Cardiovascular disease, including heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure, is the number 1 killer of women and men in the United States. Try out these strategies for better heart health. You'll be surprised how many of them can become lifelong habits!
- Monitor your blood pressure.
- Get your cholesterol checked.
- Eat a healthy diet and Exercise.
- Take your medicine.
- Limit alcohol use.
- Manage your diabetes.
This is a great time to celebrate your heart and recognize how hard it works for you. Show your heart some love with these fun, simple, and healthy tips:
- Be sweet - Heart healthy treats are filled with natural antioxidants that can help keep your arteries open. We recommend trying blueberries or strawberries.
- Move to the beat - Any activity that gets you moving — like dancing or walking — can help increase blood circulation, reduce stress, and protect your heart.
- Do your thing - Activities and hobbies like painting, writing, yoga, and meditation can help slow your heart and breathing rates and lower your blood pressure.